San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The BARR Weekend is a two-day literary, networking conference and celebration of the written word.
This year, BARR has partnered with a local nonprofit, community-based organization, Love By The Handles, which serves individuals in transition. Attendees are urged to to bring their donations of gently used purses or cell phones and to place a small inspirational book in the purse in support of that organization.
Pictured are Amina McWhirter, founder of Love by the Handles, and Sharon Lucas, Planner of BARR.
Please visit our website - www.blackauthorsandreadersrock.simplesite.com - to see and learn all about the authors and others who will join us this year!
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14 -
- 5 PM Kick off book club meeting with Sadeqa Johnson and her book "Second House From the Corner
- 7 PM Meet Author and playwright Nina Foxx
- 8:00 Spend an hour with the Three Scribes - Pamela Samuels Young, Brian W. Smith and Dwayne Alexander Smith
- 9-11 PM Let's Party!
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15
- AUTHOR EXPO OPENS AT 9 AM & ENDS AT 4 PM
- Panel discussions/workshops at 9, 10 and 11 am (Agenda will be posted on website)
- Lunch begins at noon with keynote speaker, Lisa Renee Johnson, author and president of the book club that was escorted off the California Wine Train for "laughing too loud".
Please note the following specifics:
- Exhibiting is limited to authors and other literary professionals or vendors who sell literary-related products.
- Though the Author Expo does not open until Saturday morning, exhibitors are encouraged to maximize their networking opportunities by also attending the Friday Reception & Buffet, which is covered in the registration fee.
- The Early Bird Period is December 15, 2015 thru March 15, 2016.
- Exhibitor Prices will increase on March 16, 2016; sales will remain open until July 30 or until all slots are filled, whichever occurs first.
- An "Author Helper" is a person you bring to assist at your table.
- Ads must be received by September 1, 2016.
- After payment is made, camera ready copy should be forwarded to email@example.com.
- ATTENDEE tickets will go off sale on October 7, 2016.
- WE URGE YOU TO TREAT YOURSELF FOR THE WEEKEND - PLEASE STAY OVER AT THE VENUE!
- The group rate for the weekend is $138 per night ($121.50 + tax) and includes a free hot breakfast on Saturday.
- Call the Comfort Inn at (301) 464-0089 for reservations.
Save This Event
When & Where
Sharon Lucas is an author, book club founder, and the literary event planner of The Black Authors & Readers Rock Weekend and Partner/Coordinator of The Prince George's Spring Book Festival. She is an avid reader and advocate for black authors and literature. Learn more about her at www.realdivasread.com and www.sharonrlucas.com.
Stay abreast of info about this event at www.blackauthorsandreadersrock.simplesite.com.