San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
WHAT IS THE INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR CHRISTIAN SCHOOL EDUCATORS (IICSE)?
Christian school teachers and leaders spend four days in challenging sessions, professional seminars, inspirational fellowship and numerous networking opportunities with colleagues from across the United States and around the world.
The Institute spotlights the philosophy of Christian school education and its implications for today's Christian school.
HEAR WHAT PAST PARTICIPANTS SAID ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
"This conference has been such an encouragement to me in every way! It gave me the confidence and continued passion I need to keep moving forward in bringing a kingdom education to at-risk children."
"I have been so blessed and challenged by being here. I am overwhelmed by your humility, depth of knowledge, and passion!"
"The faculty was knowledgeable, spiritually mature, and passionate about Christian education."
"Remain faithful---you are doing a mighty work!"
"The Institute was amazing! More than I dreamed of! Thank you!"
The Institute will begin Sunday, July 13th with check-in from 3:00-5:00pm in CIU's cafeteria.
We are pleased to announce that this year’s Institute will feature Christian school educational leaders as our keynote speakers. The speakers and their areas of specialization are:
- Dr. Derek Keenan-----Leadership
- Dr. Glen Schultz-------Kingdom Education
- Dr. Milton Uecker------Philosophical Foundations of Christian School Education
(Tentative) SCHEDULE OF SESSIONS 2014
Participants will earn 4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) in "Professional Development."
Sunday 7:00-8:15pm Keynote: Dr. Glen Schultz
Monday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Milton Uecker
Monday 9:45-12:00pm 1st session (options: teacher track or leadership track)
Monday 1:45-4:00pm 2nd session (chosen track)
Monday 6:30-7:45pm Focus groups
Tuesday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Derek Keenan
Tuesday 9:45-12:00pm 3rd session (chosen track)
Tuesday 1:45-4:00pm 4th session (chosen track)
Tuesday 6:30-7:45pm Focus groups
Wednesday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Glen Schultz
Wednesday 9:45-12:00pm 5th session (chosen track)
Wednesday 1:45-4:00pm 6th session (chosen track)
Wednesday 6:30-7:45pm Focus groups
Thursday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Derek Keenan
Thursday 9:45-12:00pm 7th session (chosen track)
TRACKS FOR THIS YEAR'S INSTITUTE 2014
1. Teacher Development Track:
with Dr. Milton Uecker, Dr. Mark McCann, Dr. Debbie Moore & Dr. Lynn Hoekstra
A sampling of session titles:
- Nature of the Learner
- Working with the Home
- Contextualizing the Christian School for Internationals
- Cross-Cultural Needs
- Classroom Environment and Management
- Biblical Integration
- Spiritual Development
- Critical Thinking
2. Leadership Development:
with Dr. Derek Keenan, Dr. Glen Schultz, Dr. James Watson & Dr. Milton Uecker
*Just added*: A sampling of session titles:
- Effective Hiring Practices
3. Graduate Classes:
*NEW* CONCURRENT CIU GRADUATE CLASS OPTION
The Institute also offers opportunities to attend graduate classes in the College of Education. These classes will be of interest to the experienced educators who seek to advance their professional development.
- EDU 5331 Understanding the Learner
- In this course we consider the developmental characteristics of the learner, from birth through adolescence. Students will gain understanding of the learner's developmental, cultural, and brain-based needs with a special emphasis on biblically based teaching principles for appropriate instructional strategies and learning environments.
- EDU 5444 Transformational Education
- This course overviews the biblical basis for spiritual transformation, the process of personal transformation along with its implications for student and staff development, the contextual factors that influence transformation in today’s children and youth, and methods for facilitating spiritual development in educational settings.
In addition, there will be special sessions offered for International Educators:
- Worldview Thinking
- Contextualizing the Christian School
- Cross-Cultural Needs
REGISTRATION & COSTS
Regular registrations are due by June 20th. Early registrations paid on or before May 1st will receive a discounted rate. Late registrations will be assessed a late fee. Please see tickets for pricing information.
The ticket for the Institute includes:
- Registration fee
- Lodging for Sunday evening through Wednesday evening (4 nights, double occupancy)
- Meals and refreshments from Sunday supper through Thursday lunch
- All plenary and keynote sessions plus focus groups (2 tracks: teachers & administrators)
- Professional Continuing Education Units (4)
- Airport shuttle service to and from Columbia, SC airport (CAE) (Sunday arrival, Thursday departure)
- Access to course materials
Additional items will be available for purchase:
- Flash drive with audio recordings of Institute sessions
- Professional reading materials
- Tickets for bus for shopping trip
- Shuttle service to/from Columbia airport if needed beyond Sunday and Thursday
- Single room
- Spouse (non-delegate) room and board
- Additional night (Sat. July 12 and/or Thurs. July 17)
Delegates who plan to commute from home may purchase meals from the dining hall as needed.
Cancellations: a 75% refund of your ticket price will be available through June 20th. After that date, no refund is available.
Accommodations are provided in the air-conditioned residence halls of Columbia International University within close proximity to the session locations. The housing cost is based on two people per room and includes bed and bath linens. Single rooms may be requested for an additional cost.
The Lowrie Center for Christian School Education at Columbia International University offers a limited number of need-based scholarships. Contact CIU for an application at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: May 15th, 2014
WEATHER & LOCATION
Due to the summer heat and humidity of Columbia, all the facilities are air-conditioned. Business casual is recommended for all sessions including the Wednesday night banquet.
Columbia International University (CIU) is located on Monticello Road (SC 215) north of I-20 in Columbia, South Carolina. The closest airport is the Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE). Delegates will be provided with shuttle service to and from this airport to CIU on Sunday, July 13th and Thursday, July 17th.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEUs)
Participants will earn four (4) professional continuing education units by attending all sessions and focus groups required for either the teacher or leadership tracks.
Phone: 803-807-5381 or 800-777-2227 x 5381
When & Where