An educational event for families and friends of elders
or for anyone interested in caregiving issues
Thursday, May 22
10:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m. (come for all or part)
Plaza Convention Center
1850 Industrial Circle, Longmont, CO 80501
Free respite care (elder care) is available at the event by reservation.
Please call 303-441-1543 to learn more.
If, because of a disability, you need special assistance at the event, contact Julia Yager, ADA Coordinator, at 303-441-3589. Or you can call at least 48 hours before the event, the Human Resources Department, at 303-441-3508.
10:00 a.m. – Registration Begins; Resource Fair Opens
10:15-10:55 a.m. - Community Conversation for Family Caregivers (Focus Group) - An opportunity to provide input to Boulder County Area Agency on Aging on the issues and service needs of family caregivers.
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Workshops
- Caregivers’ Guide to Mental Health Issues in Later Life – Nan Jenner-Bryant, LCSW, and Kim Miller, LCSW, Senior Reach, Mental Health Partners
- What Caregivers Need to Know about Medicare – Jan Van Sickle and Guio Bravo, Medicare Counselors, Boulder County Area Agency on Aging
- The Conversation Project: Honoring Our Loved Ones' End-of-Life Wishes – Connie Holden, The Conversation Project, and Peggy Arnold, Age Well, Longmont United Hospital
Complimentary Lunch Buffet – Available starting at 11:30 a.m.
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. – Workshops
- Simple Strategies for Caregiver Self-Care That Work! – Sandi McCann, Certified Senior Advisor, HomeCare of the Rockies
- Legal Basics for Seniors and their Family Caregivers – Brandon Fields, Elder Law Attorney
- Successful Communication for Persons with Dementia – Amy Miller, Care Consultation Manager, Alzheimer’s Association Colorado Chapter
2:30 – 3:30 p.m. – Workshops
- The Illusion of Control: Resistance, Fear, and Grace in Caregiving – Claudia J. Helade, Psychotherapist, Into the Center
- Coordinating and Managing Your Loved One’s Home Care Providers – Sara Griswell, Operations and Outreach Director, Homewatch CareGivers of Boulder County
- Latino Caregiving: Challenges and Solutions – Kim Mooney, TRU Community Care
4:00 p.m. – Resource Fair Closes
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. – Workshops
- Different Types of Dementia: Not Everyone Has Alzheimer’s Disease - Dr. Haleh Nekoorad-Long, Geriatric Psychiatrist, Colorado Mood and Memory Clinic
- Keeping Your Loved One Safe From Falls: Therapeutic and Community Approaches – Cheri Cabrera, OTR, Cabrera Consulting and Occupational Therapy Services; Hope Engel, PT, DPT, Summit Rehab at Life Care Center of Longmont; Whitney Garcia McCain, Director of Fitness and Physical Wellness, Frasier Meadows; and Jody Marken, PT Therapy Supervisor, Boulder Community Home Care
- Geriatric Care Management: What's It All About? – Ellen Knapp, LPC, Geriatric Care Manager
5:00 p.m. – Event Closes
Alta Vita Assisted Living Memory Care Centre, Broomfield Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Frasier Meadows Retirement Community, Golden West Communities, HomeCare of the Rockies, Hover Community, Juniper Village at Louisville, The Kapsak Law Firm, Life Care Center of Longmont, Mesa Vista of Boulder, Plan B Home Care Services, TRU Community Care, and Vincent, Romeo & Rodriguez, LLC