On August 20, 2013, all scholarship winners, applicants, letter of recommendation writers, family members, friends, and all community members at large, are cordially invited to attend the awards and networking reception at Le Foyer Ballroom by LA Banquets. “In the process of reviewing applications, interviewing some of the semi-finalists, and trying to narrow down the list, we realized that the biggest reward we could give the applicants was not the modest financial award, but the opportunity to meet their fellow applicants - the brightest, most driven, and most culturally aware young Armenians. Armenians who all exhibit a passion and a clear dedication for the Armenian heritage, culture and nation. The ideas of ‘power in unity’ and ‘strength in knowing the right people’ truly resonated in our minds,” stated Hovanes Margarian. It is with this objective in mind that the awards and networking reception will be tailored to allow the winners, applicants and prominent community members from various professions to meet and network. Students will have an unprecedented chance to develop mentorships, internships and employment opportunities.
Professionals from various fields are cordially invited and highly encouraged to attend the awards and networking reception to meet with the exceptionally talented group of applicants. “We sincerely hope to have all community members join us in extending to all applicants our guidance and support in future academic and career endeavors. These students are the future of our community, of Armenians both in the Diaspora and in our homeland. Their individual success, coupled with their devotion to our common cause, is the ultimate way to bring salvation to the Armenian people. This is why we hope that the event will be well attended by established professionals from various fields to provide the much needed support for the future generation,” stated Hovanes Margarian. "Much too often our community events are focused on prominent leaders and the students are left in the shadows of those who have risen to the top. This event is about putting the spotlight on the students," added Hovanes Margarian.
The 2013 Margarian Scholarship winners, in no particular order, are:
- Ara Yeghikyan from Yerevan, Armenia: 2 years of military service on the front line in Artcakh, stellar academic record at University Jean Moulin Lyon, France, French University of Armenia, Armenia, Yerevan State University, Armenia, participation in many human rights organizations/NGO's, and much more.
- Hayk Mamajanyan from Yerevan, Armenia: associate attorney at one of Armenia's premier international firms, Arlex International, stellar academic record at Yerevan State University, Armenia, National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Armenia, and University of Oxford, England, various publications and involvement in pro bono services, and much more.
- Ofelya Tevosian from Los Angeles, CA: multitude of awards and recognitions, stellar academic record in high school, college and at USC, extensive volunteering/internships, and much more.
- Emma Dishoian from Los Angeles, CA: multitude of awards and recognitions, stellar academic record in high school and college, UCLA undergrad admitted, extensive community service, and much more.
- Rafik Mughnetsian from Los Angeles, CA: multitude of awards and recognitions, stellar academic record in high school and at UCI, extensive community service including service to the Western Diocese of the Armenian Church, and much more.
2013 Margarian Scholarship Awards & Networking Reception
Tuesday, August 20, 2013, at 7:30 p.m.
La Foyer Ballroom by LA Banquets
6730 Laurel Canyon Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606
Admission is complimentary to all. Light refreshments, desserts, coffee and tea will be served. Hosting provided complimentary by LA Banquets.
Very truly yours,
2013 Margarian Scholarship Committee
Armen Margarian and Hovanes Margarian