San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
WHAT IS THE INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR CHRISTIAN SCHOOL EDUCATORS (IICSE)?
Christian school teachers and leaders spend four days in challenging sessions, professional seminars, inspirational fellowship and numerous networking opportunities with colleagues from across the United States and around the world.
The Institute spotlights the philosophy of Christian school education and its implications for today's Christian school.
HEAR WHAT LAST YEAR'S PARTICIPANTS SAID ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
"This conference has been such an encouragement to me in every way! It gave me the confidence and continued passion I need to keep moving forward in bringing a kingdom education to at-risk children."
"I have been so blessed and challenged by being here. I am overwhelmed by your humility, depth of knowledge, and passion!"
"The faculty was knowledgeable, spiritually mature, and passionate about Christian education."
"Remain faithful---you are doing a mighty work!"
"The Institute was amazing! More than I dreamed of! Thank you!"
The Institute will begin Sunday, July 7th with check-in from 3:00-5:00pm in CIU's cafeteria.
We are pleased to announce that this year’s Institute will feature five Christian school educational leaders as our keynote speakers. The speakers and their areas of specialization are:
- Dr. Sharon Berry-----Curriculum
- Dr. Derek Keenan-----Leadership
- Dr. Glen Schultz-----Kingdom Education
- Dr. Milton Uecker-----Early Childhood and Philosophy of Christian School Education
- Dr. Stephen Reel-----Educational Administration
SCHEDULE OF SESSIONS
Sunday 7:00-8:15pm Keynote: Dr. Schultz - Educating the Next Generation in a World of Uncertainty
Monday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Keenan - The Divine Classroom
Monday 9:45-12:00pm 1st session (options: teacher track 1, leadership track 1 or 2)
Monday 1:45-4:00pm 2nd session (chosen track)
Monday 6:30-7:45pm Focus groups
Tuesday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Berry - In His Image: Executive Function of the Brain
Tuesday 9:45-12:00pm 3rd session (chosen track)
Tuesday 1:45-4:00pm 4th session (chosen track)
Tuesday 6:30-7:45pm Focus groups
Wednesday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Reel - Preparing Students for Victorious Christian Living
Wednesday 9:45-12:00pm 5th session (chosen track)
Wednesday 1:45-4:00pm 6th session (chosen track)
Wednesday 6:30-7:45pm Focus groups
Thursday 8:00-9:15am Keynote: Dr. Uecker - Fulfilling the Mission
Thursday 9:45-12:00pm 7th session (chosen track)
TRACKS FOR THIS YEAR'S INSTITUTE
1. Teacher Development Track:
with Dr. Sharon Berry, Dr. Kevin Washburn, Dr. Milton Uecker & Dr. Lynn Hoekstra
- Helping Parents Help Students at Home
- Engaging the Brain for Learning
- The Belief, Effort, Achievement & Confidence Connection
- Biblical Integration
- Classroom Management
- Understanding the Learner
- Motivation and Executive Functions
2. Leadership Development:
with Dr. Derek Keenan, Dr. Stephen Reel, Dr. Sharon Berry, Dr. Mark McCann & Dr. James Watson
- Resolving Conflict and Building Unity in the Christian School
- Life Changing Leadership
- Classroom Environment and Management
- Curriculum Supervision
- Establishing a Meaningful Faculty/Staff Evaluation Program
- Strategic Planning for School Improvement and Accreditation
- Effective Hiring Practices and Procedures
3. Level 2 Leadership Development Track:
with Dr. Glen Schultz
- Building Kingdom Schools
In addition, there will be special sessions offered for International Educators:
- Biblical Integration
- Worldview Thinking
- Contextualizing the Christian School
REGISTRATION & COSTS
Regular registrations are due by June 15th. Early registrations paid on or before May 1st will receive a discounted rate. Late registrations will be assessed a late fee. Please see tickets for pricing information.
The ticket for the Institute includes:
- Registration fee
- Lodging for Sunday evening through Wednesday evening (4 nights)
- Meals and refreshments from Sunday supper through Thursday lunch
- All plenary and keynote sessions plus focus groups (3 tracks: teachers, administrators, returning administrators)
- Professional Continuing Education Units (4)
- Airport shuttle service to and from Columbia, SC airport (CAE) (Sunday arrival, Thursday departure)
- Access to course materials
Additional items will be available for purchase:
- Flash drive with audio recordings of Institute sessions
- Professional reading materials
- Tickets for bus for shopping trip
- Shuttle service to/from Columbia airport other than Sunday and Thursday
Delegates who plan to commute from home may purchase meals from the dining hall as needed.
Cancellations: a 75% refund of your ticket price will be available through June 15th. After that date, no refund is available.
Accommodations are provided in the air-conditioned residence halls of Columbia International University within close proximity to the session locations. The housing cost is based on two people per room. Single rooms may be requested for an additional cost.
The Lowrie Center for Christian School Education at Columbia International University offers a limited number of need-based scholarships. Contact CIU for an application at email@example.com.
Application deadline: May 15th, 2013
WEATHER & LOCATION
Due to the summer heat and humidity of Columbia, all the facilities are air-conditioned. Business casual is recommended for all sessions including the Wednesday night banquet.
Columbia International University (CIU) is located on Monticello Road (SC 215) north of I-20 in Columbia, South Carolina. The closest airport is the Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE). Delegates will be provided with shuttle service to and from this airport to CIU on Sunday, July 7 and Thursday, July 11.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEUs)
Participants will earn four (4) professional continuing education units by attending all sessions required for either the teacher or leadership tracks.
Past delegates have the option participating in Dr. Glen Schultz's "Building Kingdom Schools" track which builds on his sessions from the 2012 IICSE.
*SPECIAL GUEST LECTURER COURSE OFFERED DURING THE IICSE WEEK*
EDU 3415/5415 Crisis Care for Children in Trauma (3 credit hours) July 8-12, 2013
Taught by Dr. Phyllis Kilbourn, author and founder of Crisis Care Training International, this course presents foundational issues and principles that provide an understanding of children's traumatic experiences and the resulting impact of trauma.
This course can be taken in lieu of the IICSE. Students will apply to Columbia International University (CIU) as a "guest student" through the Admissions office. A guest student is someone who is not currently working toward a degree at CIU. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phone: 803-807-5381 or 800-777-2227 x 5381
When & Where