Advanced Clinical Management of the Patient Post Spinal Cord Injury
Saturday, January 12th- Sunday, January 13th, 2013
8:30AM - 5:00PM
Mark Bowden, PT, PhD
Department of Health Sciences and Research
Medical University of South Carolina
Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital
3599 University Blvd. South
Room: Brooks 1 & 2
Jacksonville, FL 32216
This course delivers evidence based physical therapy management for the patient who has suffered a traumatic or non-traumatic spinal cord injury. The curriculum includes SCI population targeted standardized assessments, a multisystem approach to the physical therapy management of these patients along with the latest research on both compensatory and recovery interventions.
At the end of this course attendees will be able to…
1. Describe the emergency management and medical risks of the traumatic and non-traumatic SCI patient.
2. Demonstrate the administration and scoring of the ASIA Evaluation.
3. Recommend the appropriate wheelchair/assistive equipment.
4. Instruct patients in advanced wheelchair skills.
5. Utilize the best standardized assessment tool for this population.
6. Understand and describe locomotor training as a model of neuroplastic-based intervention.
7. Describe compensatory versus recovery models of rehabilitation.
INTENDED FOR: PT, PTA, OT, OTA
When & Where
Brooks Institute of Higher Learning
Brooks Post-professional Education Programs
Brooks Rehabilitation is a leader in post-professional clinical education for healthcare practitioners focused in the area of rehabilitation. This is demonstrated by its active involvement in providing residency and fellowship level training as well as through providing world class continuing education courses for all clinicians in the field of rehabilitation practice. Currently Brooks has four post-professional education programs including a multidisciplinary Geriatric Residency (includes residents from OT, Nursing, SLP, and PT), a PT Neurologic Residency, a PT Orthopaedic Residency, and an Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy Fellowship. Brooks Rehabilitation offers over 25 post-professional continuing courses each year that includes a wide variety of course offerings for multiple disciplines and a variety of specialty practice areas. The speakers include both nationally renowned experts from around the country as well as nationally recognized clinical experts that currently practice within Brooks.