Annual Read to Me Meeting, March 5-6, 2011
Oxford Suites, Boise Spectrum Area
1426 S. Entertainment Avenue
Build the capacity of libraries to reach “underserved” children ages birth to 8 and their families, and provide opportunities/services for young children to access age-appropriate print materials.
Monday, March 5, 2012, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
9:00 – Registration
9:30 – 12:15
- Dream Big! – Celebrate 15 years of Read to Me: Vision, accomplishments, new goals
- Enhanced Storytimes follow-up: Study results, application, taking it further
*Libraries that attended last year’s meeting received a booklet and DVD published by Multnomah Library. Please bring your library’s copy as you will be using it during this session.
- Child Care Outreach: Getting started, taking it further, new programs
12:15 – 1:15 Lunch is provided. Virtual Bus Tour
1:15 – 5:00 “Access to Print” and Play Literacy
- Funding sources
- Practical application
Optional evening activities: Library tour and dinner
Meeting attendees and their families/friends are invited to tour the Boise Public Library’s Cole and Ustick branch (see http://www.boisepubliclibrary.org/News_and_Events/Branches/Cole_&_Ustick.shtml for more information about the building’s “green” design and public art). After the tour feel free to walk across the way to Sockeye Grill, where we’ve reserved the banquet room for a “no host” dinner. See a menu at www.sockeyebrew.com. Transportation/carpools will be arranged.
- 5:15 – Carpools and caravans leave for the library
(From hotel turn left on Overland, left on Cole. Drive about 3 miles, Library is on left at corner of Cole and Ustick. It sits back a little, where JoAnn’s Fabrics used to be.) Address: 7557 W. Ustick Rd. Boise, 83704
- 5:30 – Library Tour by branch director Kathleen Stalder
- Dinner at Sockeye Grill (“no host”, separate checks) Address: 3019 North Cole, across parking lot from Library
Mapquest map of Oxford Suites, Library, and Sockeye Grill
Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
8:30 – 12:00 – Welcome
“The Math & Science of Play: Libraries at the Forefront of Early Learning” presented by Linda Clark, Early Childhood Specialist and Cindy Christin, Head of Children's Services, Bozeman Public Library
Noon - Lunch is provided. Shannon Dunstan, Early Childhood Coordinator, State Department of Education
1:00 Access for All Kids: New Read to Me Programs
2:00 - Break out sessions:
- “Opening Our Doors: Creating Programs for Ages 0-2” presented by Cindy Christin, Head of Children’s Services at Bozeman Public Library (Bozeman, Montana)
- Small and Rural Libraries – Discussion of how we can “dream big!”
3:15 – Meeting Wrap-Up, Door Prizes
End by 3:30