Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
2012 Pain Assessment Principles & Analgesic Use Conference
University of Louisville
9001 Shelbyville Road
Louisville, KY 40222
Parking is FREE to all participants!
Back by popular demand, presenter Chris Pasero, MS, RN-BC, FAAN will focus on the health care team's role in influencing patient outcomes through assessment and management of pain.
- The barriers that affect the team's performance in assessing and managing pain will be addressed. Current recommended pharmacologic approaches and the use of nonpharmacological methods to complement pharmacologic strategies for managing pain will be presented.
- The practical considerations related to using selected therapies, such as around-the-clock oral dosing, long-acting analgesics, titration, PCA, intraspinal analgesia, and continuous peripheral nerve block infusions, will be explained.
- The needs of special populations, such as neonates, infants, children, older adults, critically ill, and the cognitively impaired, will be addressed.
The Objectives of this Educational Opportunity are to:
- Discuss the major barriers to effective pain assessment and management
- Explain the recommended principles, guidelines, and standards for the assessment and management of pain
- Describe the primary pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions for managing pain
Pain Assessment Principles & Analgesic Use Conference
- FREE to University of Louisville Healthcare Staff
- $100.00 per person for other healthcare staff
- $500 per vendor
Limited to the first 250 registrants. Breakfast and lunch are included.
For additional information, please contact:
Cindy Foote, RN, BSN
(502) 562– 4131
Thursday, August 30, 2012
7:30 am - 8:00 am
8:00 am - 8:30 am
T he Pain Management Imperative
• Research-based practice
• Harmful effects of unrelieved pain
8:30 am - 10:00 am
• Comprehensive assessment
• Challenges in pain assessment: Nonverbal patients
10:00 am - 10:15 am
10:15 am - 12:00 pm
• Basic principles of pain management
• Nonopioid analgesics
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
• Local Anesthetics
• Dual Action Analgesics
• Opioid Analgesics
2:30 pm - 2:45 pm
2:45 pm - 3:30 pm
Pharmacologic Approaches (Continued)
• Equianalgesic dosing
• Pain management trends
• Side rffects & complications
3:30 pm - 4:00 pm
4:00 pm - 4:15 pm
Conclusion, Questions & Program E valuation
Chris Pasero, MS, RN-BC, FAAN
Chris Pasero is a pain management author, educator, and clinical consultant from El Dorado Hills, California. She is a co-founder and past president of the American Society for Pain Management Nursing. Chris serves on the editorial boards of several nursing and medical journals and is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Chronic Pain Association and the Advisory Council of the Northern California Pain Initiative.
She is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and the recipient of numerous pain management clinical practice, journalistic, and teaching awards. Publications include several pain management articles, position papers, guidelines, book chapters, and the books, Pain: Clinical Manual and Pain Assessment and Pharmacologic Management.
When & Where
UofL Health Care Nursing
Our nursing mission at the University of Louisville Hospital and the James Graham Brown Cancer Center is to provide patients exceptional care by integrating evidence-based knowledge, integrity and compassion.
As members of an interdisciplinary healthcare team, we welcome the challenge of providing nursing care to patients in a dynamic, complex and culturally-diverse environment.
At the heart of all we do is a deep commitment to excellence, which is why we are the employer of choice in the Greater Louisville area to more than 1,100 outstanding RNs.