2 Day Chef Fundamentals - San Francisco
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, CA
Opscode Chef Fundamentals is a 2-day comprehensive instructor-taught course covering the basic architecture of Chef and its associated tools. This course aims to prepare key development, engineering, and operations staff to use Chef to write infrastructure. Each of the core units in the course has hands on exercises to reinforce the material. You will learn Chef by using it. At the end of the class, students will have a code repository that can be used and modified to solve real business problems.
Two day course agenda:
- Overview of Chef
- Workstation Setup
- Test Node Setup
- Dissecting your first Chef run
- Introducing the Node object
- Writing an Apache cookbook
- Writing an MOTD cookbook
- Refactoring the Apache Cookbook
- Writing a Users Cookbook
- Write Your First Roles
- Write and Use Environments
- Use Community Cookbooks Effectively
If we have time...
- Just enough Ruby for Chef
- Working student-led use cases
- Requested Topics
Attendees should bring a wifi-enabled laptop to the workshop. The following operating systems have been tested as workstation systems with the hands on exercises:
- Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04
- Mac OS X 10.7.3
- Windows 7
Other platforms and platform versions may work without modification. Due to time constraints we will not be able to troubleshoot issues with unlisted platforms.
Attendees should install non-Chef required software before the workshop starts.
- Remote Desktop client
- Programer's text editor (Vi/Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text 2 or equivalent)
- On Unix/Linux/OS X systems:
- C/C++ compiler, build environment (build-essential, Xcode, or platform equivalent).
- Install Chef Client using Opscode's Chef Installer (easiest option for all attendees).
- Install the chef gem (best option if you're already using ruby and a ruby version manager like rvm or rbenv)
- Lunch and snack will be provided. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you may have.
- Please note registration closes 24 hours prior to the start of class. Please contact Jamie Bright at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to register inside of that time frame.
- Cancellation requests must be received in writing 24 hours prior to the start of class in order to be eligible for a refund.
When & Where
Opscode is the provider of Chef, the automation platform for the coded business. Opscode Chef provides the speed, flexibility, and efficiency to compete in the digital economy. By modeling IT infrastructure and application delivery as code, Chef empowers businesses of all sizes to easily scale to meet demand, eliminate down time, manage complexity, and accelerate time to market. www.opscode.com