2 Day Chef Fundamentals - NYC
Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
Opscode Chef Fundamentals is a 2-day comprehensive instructor-taught course covering the basic architecture of Chef and its associated tools. This course aims to prepare key development, engineering, and operations staff to use Chef to write infrastructure. Each of the core units in the course has hands on exercises to reinforce the material. You will learn Chef by using it. At the end of the class, students will have a code repository that can be used and modified to solve real business problems.
Two day course agenda:
- Overview of Chef
- Workstation Setup
- Test Node Setup
- Dissecting your first Chef run
- Introducing the Node object
- Writing an Apache cookbook
- Writing an MOTD cookbook
- Refactoring the Apache Cookbook
- Writing a Users Cookbook
- Write Your First Roles
- Write and Use Environments
- Use Community Cookbooks Effectively
If we have time...
- Just enough Ruby for Chef
- Working student-led use cases
- Requested Topics
Bring a wifi-enabled laptop with a modern processor (< 7 years old, supports PAE) to the class. The following operating systems have been tested as workstation systems with the hands on exercises:
- Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04
- Mac OS X 10.7.3
- Windows 7 (not an ideal developer platform for Chef, but it will do)
Other platforms and platform versions may work without modification, and many others are supported by Chef, but for the context of the class must be mostly self-supported to limit time spent troubleshooting issues with unlisted platforms.
You will need some software installed before you get to class. In summary:
- SSH/SCP (OpenSSH, puTTY/WinSCP or equivalent)
- code editor
- build tools
You may "bring your own" access to a remote unix system to develop on if you wish - like an ec2 node or hosted server. As an emergency fallback, I can provide a temporary development ec2 node if your laptop environs are hostile, but I will delete it a day after class ends. You'll just need ssh on your laptop in these cases.
- Lunch and snack will be provided. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you may have.
- Please note registration closes 24 hours prior to the start of class. Please contact Jamie Bright at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to register inside of that time frame.
- Cancellation requests must be received in writing 24 hours prior to the start of class in order to be eligible for a refund.
When & Where
Opscode is the provider of Chef, the automation platform for the coded business. Opscode Chef provides the speed, flexibility, and efficiency to compete in the digital economy. By modeling IT infrastructure and application delivery as code, Chef empowers businesses of all sizes to easily scale to meet demand, eliminate down time, manage complexity, and accelerate time to market. www.opscode.com