12 Best Practices for Early Childhood Education with National keynote speaker Ann Lewin-Benham
Saturday, August 23, 2014 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (PDT)
Palo Alto, CA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Popular nationally known educator/author Ann will present the topic of 12 Best Practices for Early Childhood Education. Ms. Lewin-Benham draws on her vast experience with the Reggio Approach but also play–based and Montessori approaches to early childhood education. These practices will be demonstrated throughout her presentation with scenarios from classrooms and powerful images showcasing the outcome of using each practice.
These practices include:
1. How we put what we believe about young children into practice.
2. How we help children become self regulated.
3. Ways to integrate the life of school and home by involving families.
4. How to structure time so that there is Open Flow, long uinturrupted periods in which children can concentrate on what interests them.
5. How to design a classroom environment that is interesting ennough to provoke long, concentrated work.
6. How to hold meaningful converstations, supported by a group of techniques.
7. What it means to be an Intentional Teacher and what looks like to teach with intention.
8. What it means to use a multitude of materials and to introduce children to their attributes, functions and histories
9. How to introduce the children with a plethora of things to do with materials from the natural and man made environments
10. How to show evidence of children's growth through observing what they do and listening what they say.
11. How to assess childrenby using evidence of what they do and say as a way to see their growth.
12. How to engage children in projects that tap their interest, competence, and creativity and results in the production of Significant work that is creative, complex, competent, language full and joyfull.
We will have copies of Ann's book (Twelve Best Practices For Early Childhood Education) for $25. Ann will also be available to sign the book.
When & Where
Children's Learning Cottage
Children’s Learning Cottage is a play-based, child centered program designed for children ages 2 years old through 5.9 years old located in Mountain View, CA